Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Graham Anderson on "The Hub"

'Your one stop center for student related information and resources'. The idea behind it is students have, the main reason a lot of students come to the U is to help prepare for a vocation in the future. Some people are here for graduate school, which is also vocational. Our campus has a lot of resources for that, and they are underutilized. The career center, the Hinckley Institute's intern program, academic advising in some areas is not used as well in relation with the Graduate Guarantee. There needs to be more emphasis put in that part as well. What we're going to do is within ASUU we want to have a committee and a board within ASUU that will run an information center which we're referring to as The Hub.

A student can walk into ASUU and ask 'how do I get involved with Greek Row?', 'How do I get a scholarship from my college?' 'How do I get involved with service activities around campus?' 'Where do I get a sweet internship?' 'What do I need to do to apply to graduate school?' We're not saying we're going to have that information, but we can say to them 'here's where to go on campus to find these things'. A lot of students know where to go for this information. The example I use is that I'm a Chinese major. If I wanted to try and get a scholarship for my department, I don't know who I'd go talk to. I really don't. And it would be awesome if we had a facilitator on campus that could point students in the direction that we needs to go. Not necessarily that we've got all the information, but we know where to obtain that information.

No comments: